Opens Gardens NT is a volunteer, not for profit association whose mission is to promote the knowledge and pleasure of gardens and gardening across the Northern Territory by facilitating the opening of inspiring private gardens to the public each year. Each garden in the program is open for one weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, between 10am and 4pm.
Open Gardens NT aims are to:
- facilitate the opening of gardens in the Northern Territory for public viewing
- promote the enjoyment and benefits of gardening and gardens
- encourage community engagement in gardening by promoting horticultural education, garden design, ecological sustainability and other activities
- cooperate with, and to participate in activities with, other organisations which have similar objectives
- support local community and charity groups through providing opportunities for fundraising and profile building.
Open Gardens would like to acknowledge the following for their financial support which assisted in providing seed funding to recommence the 2019 Open Gardens NT scheme:
- Northern Territory Government Community Benefit Fund
- Bendigo Bank Nightcliff
Entry Fees and Community support
Adult visitors to the open gardens pay a small entrance fee, children under 18 are free. The entry fees are distributed equally between:
- Open Gardens NT, for operational costs, primarily marketing and insurance expenses. Any surplus supports gardening initiatives with sponsorship or donations.
- The garden owner and their choice of charity or community group who is being supported at the event.