Opens Gardens NT is a volunteer, not for profit association whose mission is to promote the knowledge and pleasure of gardens and gardening across the Northern Territory by facilitating the opening of inspiring private gardens to the public each year. Each garden in the program is open for one weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, between 10am and 4pm.
Open Gardens NT aims are to:
- facilitate the opening of gardens in the Northern Territory for public viewing
- promote the enjoyment and benefits of gardening and gardens
- encourage community engagement in gardening by promoting horticultural education, garden design, ecological sustainability and other activities
- cooperate and to participate in activities with other organisations which have similar objectives
- support local community and charity groups through providing opportunities for fundraising and profile building.
We are excited to be opening gardens again in 2021 after a year off in 2020 due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Entry Fees and Community support
Adult visitors to the open gardens pay a small entrance fee, children under 18 are free. The entry fees are distributed between:
- Open Gardens NT, for operational costs, primarily marketing and insurance expenses. Any surplus funds remaining, support gardening initiatives with sponsorship or donations.
- The garden owner and their choice of charity or community group who is being supported at the event.
The following charities and groups were supported by Open Gardens NT fundraising activities so far –
- PRISM program run by Headspace
- Harvest Corner Community Garden
- Good Shepard Lutheran School
- Paws Darwin
- Autism NT
- HPA – Helping People Achieve
- St Francis of Assisi Church
- Batchelor Area School/ YMCA Youth Diversion Project
- Nightcliff Uniting Church Op Shop
- Wanguri Preschool
- St Francis of Assisi School
- Cat Association of the NT
- Darwin Hospice/Top End Rehoming
- Holy Family Primary School
- Bryce Fullwood
- Variety NT/Give me 5 for Kids